MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-30-2019

(04-29-2019, 12:24 AM)Highpower Wrote: I've got plenty of old stuff sitting around here collecting dust too. Like a mint condition electric typewriter. No use for it but just can't get myself to throw it out.  Big Grin

I know what you mean. I have an electric typewriter out here too that the wife told me to toss (it's her old one) 20 years ago. All it needs is a readily available belt 'cuze the one that's on it rotted. I may have to put a belt on it and put it up on ebay or marketplace or something.

RE: Latest Delivery - the penguin - 04-30-2019

I have a desk top electric adding machine/calculator, my wife has been trying to throw away for about the last 8-10 years, yet it still survives.

RE: Latest Delivery - Hawkeye - 04-30-2019

I had an old, open-frame typewriter that I used to play with as a kid. The only date on it was 1895. It sat about three feet from where my house fire started. It is, as they say, history.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 05-01-2019

(04-30-2019, 10:12 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: I had an old, open-frame typewriter that I used to play with as a kid. The only date on it was 1895. It sat about three feet from where my house fire started. It is, as they say, history.

I thought you were going to say it survived!

RE: Latest Delivery - Hawkeye - 05-01-2019

Well, there wouldn't have been a lot of plastic in it. The 'Restoration' Company wasn't all that interested in restoring (or even properly documenting) anything. The dumpster was their weapon of choice.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - ltlvt - 05-15-2019

(09-28-2012, 03:29 PM)EdK Wrote: I've never had any problems with UPS other than just about every package I get is crushed to some degree. Luckily, nothing has arrived damaged yet despite UPS' attempts to do otherwise.

I look forward to your report on the carbide tooling.

Ed

I have had zero problems with UPS. I order enuff stuff that I have to keep a folder so I can remember what I ordered. My 2 little dogs have seen the UPS guy so many times that they greet him when the truck stops. And they bark at everyone except my daughter and me. Any company is only as good as its employees. Some employees are of good character and some are just not. I know because I spent almost 30 years of my life managing a company and have has as many as 500 employees at a time. Some are excellent and some are just not worth their pay. Smiley-dancenana

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 05-15-2019

My son is a UPS employee and he better not be crushing packages. :)

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 05-17-2019

Collecting some R8 tooling as the frankenmill gets closer to being a reality. An autolock chuck with 8 collets- not a Clarkson but an English-made 'Qualcut', presumably a copy, seems decent quality and condition. thought this might be a good thing to have as 90% of my endmills have threaded shanks. Plus a Jacobs #34 chuck.
[attachment=16210]
[attachment=16211]

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 05-25-2019

[attachment=16223]

Technically not a delivery, but still a fairly expensive investment.  I just finished the installation of a natural gas tankless water heater.  I went natural gas since I only have 100 amp service to the house (200 to the shop priorities ya know).  The water heater was priced virtually the same as a conventional water heater ($699.99), but the sticker shock came when I purchased the double wall stainless steel exhaust vent.  Youzer! Yikes The shortest run was to install a horizontal exhaust and I still paid $650.00 +/- for the vent, etc.  A three foot piece of the vent was $75.00.  The installation kit with a couple of wall penetration plates, the final exhaust tip, and elbow and a few other odds & ends was $250.00.  I commented to the Menards employee who was helping me that "it doesn't even include a kiss".  He replied "I don't know how to respond to that" but was clearly amused.

The total cost was right at $1500.00.  Sure glad I didn't have to pay labor on top of materials.

Other considerations included removing 500+ lbs of weight from the floor joists (the conventional 50 gallon water heater).  Last summer I had a couple of guys jack up & reinforce the floor under the utility room as it had sagged.  They told me the joists had been weakened by the furnace installation by cutting out portions for the duct work.  Over time (about 60 years) the nails had pulled out so they replaced them with deck screws and installed a basement jack, a steel plate on the ground, and a 4X4 spanning the floor joists shoring up the floor.

When my neighbor & I moved the old water heater to the back door we just pushed it over to drain the remaining water.  I had a garden hose attached for at least a couple of hours to drain it but it was still half full since it was so plugged up with sediment, lime, etc.  Certainly glad to get it out of my house.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 05-25-2019

Even at $1500, it'll pay itself off in no time. I installed one in my son's house last year and it made a dramatic difference in his gas bill. We escaped the high cost of the vent pipe because we only needed enough to get through the basement wall. Can't wait for my water heat to die so I can put one in my house. Big Grin

I plan on using a variant of one to heat my shop up North. The ones for heating are lower temp and adjust their output according to demand.

Tom