MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 04-11-2019

Nowt wrong with Nixie Tubes !

Fairly sure that I've still got a frequency counter tucked away somewhere that uses them.

74141 ic is the driver as I recall from the dim and distant past. I made a frequency readout for my HRO communications receiver using them when I had less grey hairs than I do now.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 04-11-2019

Not sure if this is helpful, but Electro Harmonix which makes guitar effect pedals etc. may be a source of tubes, depending on what you might need. I seam to remember reading that the owner bought out the existing stock from a Russian tube factory a few years ago.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 04-11-2019

Several years ago I took students on a tour of Peavey Electronics.  At that time they were acquiring tubes from the plant near St Petersburg as that was the only source.  They told me the Soviets continued to develop tube technology since they were blocked from US chip tech.  It seems the real hard core audiophiles and guitar players who wanted "real" feedback demanded tube type amps.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-20-2019

China is currently a big producer of tubes.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 04-20-2019

(04-20-2019, 03:32 PM)Vinny Wrote: China is currently a big producer of tubes.

I'll assume China also had the same restrictions on it as did the USSR when it came to importing computer technology.  Consequently they too advanced tube technology.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 04-28-2019

It's amazing what shows up on eBay. I got this new old stock box of spark plugs for the Frazer for about the same price as new plugs at Autozone. How does something like this even survive for 60 plus years? Chin

Tom

[Image: 20190428_131027.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 04-29-2019

Nice score there Tom.   Thumbsup

I've got plenty of old stuff sitting around here collecting dust too. Like a mint condition electric typewriter. No use for it but just can't get myself to throw it out.  Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 04-29-2019

Nice find Tom. In my brief foray into the world of classic cars some years ago, I was amazed at the amount of 'new-old stock' stuff that was out there.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 04-29-2019

Apparently so, Pete. Thing is, you have to kind of predict what you might need in the future and buy the stuff as it appears, because it's never available when you actually need it.

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 04-29-2019

I have a habit of rebuilding (often obscure!) machines, particularly CNC ones, and when bits appear on eBay that are suitable spares I buy them for two reasons:

A/ You may never get a chance again, and ...

B/ If you have a spare on the shelf that part will never fail again :)