MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 05-14-2018

+1 on Gimp

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 05-15-2018

Just a note, if using Mac, and opening a photo file. The machine default when the photo in on the desktop, is "preview".

Everything thing you need to resize is right there. TOOLS drop down allows on to change the size

pep

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 05-17-2018

I was at a mate's place this afternoon for the purpose of using his Bridgeport mill, I needed to cut a woodruff key seat in a shaft I am making as part of my tractor overhaul. The vertical attachment is off my mill and I hope never to reinstall it, if I can ever get the tractor project out of the way the J-head conversion is next on the list.
Well not only did I get the keyseat cut but whilst I was there making the necessary calculations, my good friend gave me this.
[attachment=15745]

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 05-17-2018

(05-14-2018, 12:37 PM)Highpower Wrote: Stan, just lower the resolution setting on your camera so that it saves your pictures in a smaller file size. 1024 x 768 is plenty big enough for most purposes. It won't cost you a dime and you won't have to edit them for size after downloading them to your computer.

Smile

Hightower,

Thank you.  I need to go into the settings on my phone as I do not have this problem with my Nikon.

Stan

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 07:03 AM)Pete O Wrote: I was at a mate's place this afternoon for the purpose of using his Bridgeport mill, I needed to cut a woodruff key seat in a shaft I am making as part of my tractor overhaul. The vertical attachment is off my mill and I hope never to reinstall it, if I can ever get the tractor project out of the way the J-head conversion is next on the list.
Well not only did I get the keyseat cut but whilst I was there making the necessary calculations, my good friend gave me this.

IMHO that is a much better reference than Machinery's Handbook.  Oriented toward the tradesman rather than the engineer.  BTW, I have both.  Another excellent resource is the US Navy's Machinery Repairman 3 & 2.  Available online for free as a PDF.

Also that is one hell of a friend, he just gave you a book that is very hard to find.  At least take him to Minisky's for a cold one.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 06-02-2018

AKA my new ride

[Image: Can-Am-Spyder-RT-S_3-4-Blk_14-590x441.jpg?itok=cbrDbBH9]

BTW, stock pic, but the only difference is the antenna. Just under 8K miles. $9100 USD.  Riding it from Owensboro to Glasgow KY today for the Highland Games.  Haven't ridden for 20+ years and had it up to 75 mph yesterday on the 4 lane bypass around Owensboro.  Steady as a rock and fast doesn't come close to describing it.  Massive acceleration.  Power to weight ratio that just blows away everyone else.  Dusted off two 5.0 Mustangs yesterday.

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 07-04-2018

I've been keeping an eye out for about 2 years for a suitable piece of pipe for the body of a sand muller. I was chasing some heavy plate for my frankenmill project today, no luck on the plate but the second scrap merchant had this.
[attachment=15789]
600m diameter, 6mm wall, about 400 long. The muller has finally become a possibility.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 07-08-2018

Given the amount of sand used for a home shop foundry it's not that difficult to renew the sand by hand.  If you have a large enough piece of concrete just make sure its good & clean before dumping the sand on it.  Work the sand with a garden rake adding the appropriate amount of water or oil depending on what your're using.

I've also known of people using a small cheap mortar or cement mixer as a muller.  I was taught to test the sand by grabbing a handful and squeezing it into a rough cylinder.  It should hold together by itself but not ooze, drip, or release any liquid.

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 07-08-2018

I've been reconditioning my sand with an attachment I made for a power drill, it works 'ok' but is laborious and hard on the drill. Dumping the sand on the shed floor and raking / shoveling holds little appeal! May be just that I'm lazy, but I had a spinal fusion L4/L5/S1 and I have to minimise tasks like shoveling as much as I can. I plan (eventually) to have the muller set up so that I can break molds directly into the muller, mull the sand, then hoist the muller up and empty it directly into the sand tub of my molding bench. Besides, a muller is a good project, right?

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 07-08-2018

Mach Tach kit arrived in the mail today.

[attachment=15793]

The BP parts from H&W left O'Hare yesterday according to the tracking.