MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 10-18-2017

(10-18-2017, 11:07 PM)TomG Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 10:09 PM)Vinny Wrote: Sorry I missed ya!

I waved as I passed through! Big Grin

How many fingers did ya use?   Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 10-19-2017

Here is my latest  from a friend.

[attachment=15178]

[attachment=15179]

2 saws and 5 hours, produced a ruff blank

[attachment=15180]

Watching Tom's clip how to square up stock, now have a piece to work from.

I ran into a problem, and it could be me not sure yet. Will figure it out after I finish this project.

Primary investigation; the milled blank mounted in the vise. Will not tamp down on the rear parallel bar, slides in and out, no up & down movement.

Messing around using a 123 block found it did the same. I reversed the front and back removal jaw faces.

That allowed the 123 block to be set as expected, did not help the milled piece, not surprise regarding that.

Two thoughts, 1 I may have the problem cured, 2 my vise is mounted on a swivel base. considering removing same and direct mount it. However before I do that I think I will retry square another piece of materiel, because the 123 block worked..

Any comments ?

Greg

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 10-19-2017

Nice sewing machine Tom. I recently pulled my 1970s Kenmore out of the basement and dusted off the cob webs in order to use it to hem up a number of pair of jeans. I use to be able to drop them off at a seamstress on my way home from work and have her hem them up for me but since the company moved, that option disappeared. It took me two pair of jeans to get the process down but it isn't that difficult. I rather enjoy it.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 10-19-2017

Thanks Ed. This one should sew up to 3/8" of leather. Doubt I'll ever push it that hard, but will do up to four layers of vinyl.

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 10-19-2017

(10-19-2017, 07:57 AM)pepi Wrote: I ran into a problem, and it could be me not sure yet. Will figure it out after I finish this project.

Primary investigation; the milled blank mounted in the vise. Will not tamp down on the rear parallel bar, slides in and out, no up & down movement.

Messing around using a 123 block found it did the same. I reversed the front and back removal jaw faces.

That allowed the 123 block to be set as expected,

Any comments ?

Greg

Sounds like there may have been a chip, or some other debris under a jaw, throwing them out of parallel.

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 10-26-2017

Won the bid on a 12 inch Di-Arco metal shear. Looked it up and their pretty proud of them, $2700 new. Supposed to give a burr free edge, which it seams to on testing, it will even cut paper. The edges of the knives can be sharpened on the surface grinder, giving 4 cutting edges, these are sharp and don't look like they've been turned or flipped.
[Image: y49zjO8JUY_SxTO9mmJnMgLD9YQ6maQhJAO_-MBI...47-h729-no]
Some surface rust on the table to clean up. Is it ever heavy, shipping weight is 168 pounds.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 10-26-2017

I have a cheaper version of that. No where near as heavy duty and I thought I was going to break it when I cut some not so thin sheet metal, but it cut. I mainly use it now for 0.040" aluminum for face plates.

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 10-27-2017

(10-19-2017, 06:56 PM)TomG Wrote:
(10-19-2017, 07:57 AM)pepi Wrote: I ran into a problem, and it could be me not sure yet. Will figure it out after I finish this project.

That allowed the 123 block to be set as expected,

Any comments ?

Greg

Sounds like there may have been a chip, or some other debris under a jaw, throwing them out of parallel.

Tom

No chips, first thing I looked for, I also vacuum chips whenever the vise is opened and work piece position is moved.

The odd thing that struck me is that the 123 block slid side to side. Shooting for an answer I swapped the removable jaw faces front to and back. The 123 block clamped fine after that, next time I true a piece of work, will see if that helped.

To far along to worry about it now, the error in very minimal. Just wondering out loud if this is what drives the price of the Kurt milling vise

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 10-27-2017

That allowed the 123 block to be set as expected, did not help the milled piece, not surprise regarding that.

Greg

I run into that from time to time if I get in too much of a hurry and tamp down on the part a little too hard. It bounces back off of the parallel(s) just enough to let them slide under the part. Light taps work better for me. Possibly a difference in the materials between your blank and your 1-2-3 block causing a difference in rebound?

Did you deburr the edges of your blank after milling? I've been caught up by a sharp edge of a part hitting an inside corner of the vice in the past as well. Again my fault, for being in a hurry and deburring 11 edges of a block instead of all 12. Blush

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 10-27-2017

'Dead blow' hammer stops the bounce back - (hollow hammer filled with lead shot)