MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Jim1611 - 08-04-2017

(08-03-2017, 07:23 AM)Mike E. Wrote: The Post man delivered this great little  Moore & Wright  1/2" micrometer today. It reads in tenths, and appears to be unused. Came in a fitted clamshell type glasses case along with the original box. Judging by the age of the box and paperwork, I would think its from the 1950's or 60's; anyway Happy Day !

Very nice score, Mike! I would much rather own and use the older tools. I started in the tool and die trade in 1979 and bought most of what I use today then. I have handled the newer stuff and for the price is does not compare.

UPS dropped my latest addition off today. A Bridgeport 90 degree head attachment. I have often wanted one and have some upcoming work coming that it will really come in handy for.
[Image: blWVVR.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-05-2017

Those sure are handy.  I'll put one on my want list as soon as I turn my planner into a planner mill.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 08-10-2017

I won the bid on a Jones and Shipman 3" tilt and swivel vise, which I wanted more than needed considering all of my machinery is hibernating in storage. It turns out that the vise is actually a 4" with a 3" jaw opening. Except for some oxidation and some chipped & weathered paint, the vice could litteraly pass as near new. The jaws appear to have been blued, and there is no sign of any damage or drilling. There is an interesting mechanism for securing both the tilt and swivel which I haven't seen before; a removable rod is used to either loosen or lock each feature by rotating the corresponding ring in the base clock or anticlockwise. Simple and quick. Everything works smooth as glass, and the the movable jaw slides on V-ways. The workmanship and quality are superb, BUT, although it would be fine for a Bridgeport, at 7 1/2" tall ( its lowest height ) the vise would take up almost all of the vertical capacity of my Tom Senior Mill.

Oh well, guess you can't win them all.

Bawling

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 09-05-2017

I picked this up from a transport depot yesterday.
[attachment=15003]
Got it home, unloaded with the floor crane and unscrewed the top.
[attachment=15005]
I'm hoping to get time to unload it today.
When I bought my Elliott/Victoria U2 horizontal mill, someone on here made the comment that it would make a great base for a frankenmill with a Bridgeport head mounted to the overarm. BP heads are hard to come by here, so when Darren mentioned in another thread that he knew where one was sitting unused, it was too much to resist.
Thanks heaps to Darren for purchasing, collecting, packaging this up safely and getting it to the transport depot.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-05-2017

I thought that looked a little familiar.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-08-2017

Thought it was to be full of concrete.   Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 09-11-2017

After about 25 years service I replaced my 3 hp Mercury outboard. It spent a good portion of its life in salt water on a small Zodiac we used to get to shore. A couple of years ago it had a phantom ignition problem that disappeared for no reason while it was on the bench while deciding which parts to replace. Haven't had a fuzzy feeling about it since then. The last three times I had it on the canoe it acted up with three different problems. The possibility of paddling a 17 foot freighter 5 or 6 miles back against the wind and current (kind of like up hill) prompted me to go for a new 4 stroke.
[Image: Pwjx_7VL5J0Qj2iV_USXF3u5ov-8X_YD3mzuHCaN...7-h1276-no]

Interestingly this 2.5 hp appears to be identical to the 3.5 hp same bore, stoke, bottom end, propeller but $200 cheaper. Funny how a smaller bore carburetor can be that much cheaper too make. I certainly is quieter and vibrates the aluminum canoe less. Not quite as fast, or at least seams that way, maybe just sounds slower. Has a neutral shifter, nice feature for the shallows and rocks on the stretch of river I use the canoe on. 
Had it put this afternoon for a test run. Not always the easiest to start but the tech said they need to break in before they preform great. It only caught two really small fish so Im not too sure about it yet.
This about 20 mile stretch of river  is between 2, 170 megawatt hydro dams. Its runs through mostly crown land and is virtually undeveloped. Aside from a hand full of hunt camps the shoreline is pretty much untouched. The last two times I've been there I never saw another boat. BUT thats for a good reason, I wouldn't dare take the Whaler on it. I've never seen a stretch of water with as many shoals and rocks and they just poke up hear and there with no rime or reason. When the dams are open you might see some swirling around them or a wave breaking but on a calm day they just lie in wait.
[Image: hlRMcuRz4ymOoKzeUJa065nnmbevzlVwYGZ6aaGx...2-h1276-no]

[Image: jo5OLe83g3xCMqJSIK1Ie7RsNpsMVRDZ5zYaOlCl...2-h1276-no]

[Image: H0sS448fUQEgvd4j1CeacTGPICHdqJRYFaWcDpEr...2-h1276-no]

My little piece of heaven.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-15-2017

[attachment=15033][attachment=15034]

DoAll 3 hp head.  Destined to be attached to my planner.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-15-2017

[attachment=15035]
My new ride.   Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 09-15-2017

Looks like you better get on with raising that shed roof Stan.