MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 07-14-2017

Yep - I'm going to run Octopi on it and use that to drive my Creality CR-10 3D printer. I'd been interested in getting one for a while and for some of the things that I want to print (because I can sell them) I needed a bit more z than most of the other 'affordable' printers out there. Hopefully that will turn up next week.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 09:07 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Yep - I'm going to run Octopi on it and use that to drive my Creality CR-10 3D printer.  I'd been interested in getting one for a while and for some of the things that I want to print (because I can sell them) I needed a bit more z than most of the other 'affordable' printers out there.  Hopefully that will turn up next week.

A Pi can do a lot. It's just not realtime like an arduino. A lot of folks using a Pi for a 3D printer are using the Pi to drive an arduino that will actually run the steppers and handle the gcode.

Here's my Pi:

[Image: pitop1.jpg]

[Image: pitop2.jpg]

It sits next to my mill and I use it when I need to make any kind of calculations the Google Home isn't set up to do, like that cutting speed app you posted recently. The screen's about 13" color.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 07-14-2017

(07-14-2017, 10:11 AM)Vinny Wrote: A Pi can do a lot. It's just not realtime like an arduino.

Yup, Arduino is definitely better for bit banging. Thumbsup

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 08-03-2017

The Post man delivered this great little  Moore & Wright  1/2" micrometer today. It reads in tenths, and appears to be unused. Came in a fitted clamshell type glasses case along with the original box. Judging by the age of the box and paperwork, I would think its from the 1950's or 60's; anyway Happy Day !

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 08-03-2017

Nice little mic, Mike. Big Grin

It does have that 50's look and the fact it is Imperial and made in England supports that theory.

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 08-03-2017

Cutest little thing, about the size of my watch. My kind of bling, think I'll hang it on a big gold chain. Been playing with it all day driving my Wife crazy.  Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 08-03-2017

Nice score Mike. Gorgeous little tool.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 08-03-2017

I have what I think is a 1" version of that same mic, in the glasses case and all. It was a gift (hand-me-down) from my wife's grandfather around 25 years ago, he was in his nineties at the time. He was a ship's engineer in the British merchant navy before, and during, the second world war and I would have thought the mic was from that era.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-03-2017

Very nice.  Reminds me a lot of my Lufkin 1" mic I bought used in '74 from a San Diego pawn shop for $25.00.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 08-04-2017

Lufkin made nice tools, lifetime keepers for sure. I've also got an old 1" Moore & Wright mic.. It looks like its been through the wars as its pretty rough on the outside, but works smooth as silk internally; looked so ugly I had to give it a touch of my favourite green paint. Here is a side by side comparison photo. The 1" is a Model 965, and the 1/2" mic. is a  Model 933 B, the B indicating it having a tenths scale; in case anyone wants to look for one.