MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - wawoodman - 07-11-2017

I have a copy of that one, that I've had for years. Lots of fun looking through it.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-11-2017

What I find great about old books is that the bibliography in the back pages is a good source for learning out about related printings by other authors, which can often be little known treasures worth searching for.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-12-2017

The spacer block set showed up today. It looks like new old stock, is complete, and there's " No rust " ! ! !
Not sure who the manufacturer is, but the set was apparently made in 1995 according to the certificate.
There is a symbol just below the size reference on each block; does anyone recognise it ?

RE: Latest Delivery - JScott - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 07:03 AM)Mike E. Wrote: The spacer block set showed up today. It looks like new old stock, is complete, and there's " No rust " ! ! !
Not sure who the manufacturer is, but the set was apparently made in 1995 according to the certificate.
There is a symbol just below the size reference on each block; does anyone recognise it ?

The symbol is JIT.  I don't know what it stands for but I have the identical set of space blocks and they are about the same age.  The manufacturer brand is Chuan made of course in China.  They aren't lapped to the accuracy of gage blocks but for us hobby machinists they are certainly sufficient and very handy. Neat find and hope you got them for a good price.

JScott

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-12-2017

Thanks for the information, I'll put a note in with the inspection cert.. There wasn't a spec of rust or any indication that they had been handled. I wiped em all down with lacquer thinner and spent about an hour measuring the set. Each are within three tenths of the engraved measurement, and all wring together perfectly. The price was equivalent to $ 32.00 in U.S. money, and that included postage. I'm just an amateur home workshop machinist, so these will be more than adequate for my needs.

At the moment I'm having grief from the local planning department on building my new garage / workshop, but I've still got room in my storage rental, so I might as well keep buying tools to fill it up and get my moneys worth. Smile

RE: Latest Delivery - Hawkeye - 07-12-2017

The 3D printer arrived via FedEx yesterday. I picked it up after work today. I did take pictures, but I'd rather assemble the thing than download pictures from my camera. Pictures will come soon enough.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 07-13-2017

(07-12-2017, 10:25 AM)Mike E. Wrote: ...I wiped em all down with lacquer thinner and spent about an hour measuring the set...

After I use mine, I wipe them and then rub a little Ballistol onto my fingers and make sure they are coated as I replace them in the box. That keeps them protected against rust. I believe TomG keeps a dab of Vaseline on hand for the very same reason. Whatever your choice, make sure they remain pristine for as long as you can.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-13-2017

Yeah, I gave them an initial cleaning as there was a light coating of dried grease on them and I wanted to check them with a micrometer, and then oiled them before storing back in the box. Unlike California, here in the UK oxidation can be a real problem; just wish I'd put a couple of gallons of the LSA lube I had in the seatrain container when I shipped my tools here.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 07-14-2017

This arrived today:

[attachment=14637]

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 07-14-2017

Going to have some Pi, huh?