MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Hawkeye - 07-03-2017

After looking through a few web sites, I'm leaning the same way as Vinny. After I get the printer up and running, I'll look into building a scanner.

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 07-06-2017

(07-03-2017, 07:37 PM)Mayhem Wrote:
(07-03-2017, 09:21 AM)arvidj Wrote: ...Bev is suggesting that I no longer buy kits as it takes me so long to put them together...

You could point out that clothes and makeup come in kit form and men have been kept waiting for countless hours whilst women assemble them Sleep

Excellent logic, really funny as hell   Big Grin

Well said

Greg

RE: Latest Delivery - chucketn - 07-06-2017

(07-03-2017, 10:27 PM)Hawkeye Wrote: After looking through a few web sites, I'm leaning the same way as Vinny. After I get the printer up and running, I'll look into building a scanner.

I have looked at the 2 major versions of 3d scanners. One by Cowtech, and the orther the BQ. BQ developed the idea, but quit selling the kit. Cowtech is still going. Their kit assembly uses laser cut acrylic and goes together like the 3d printer frames of the Prusia or Anet. The BQ uses threaded rods and is simpler to assemble. The Cowtech uses a 6008 bearing for the rotating table, while the BQ uses a much bigger, harder to find 16014 bearing. I ordered 2 of the 6008 bearings for $3 US Ea. before I saw the difference in the bearing, as I decided to build the BQ version. So I learned how to modify the .stl to put the smaller bearing on the BQ design. Also got an old CIF single chip web cam to work with the Horus Software, so I'll try using that.
Then my printer choked, so I haven't finished printing all the BQ parts...Hopefully the printer will be fixed by next week.
Using an Arduino Uno and a CNC shield to run the scanner.

Chuck

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 07-08-2017

Finally bought a set of gauge blocks. Grade E, far more accurate than I'll ever need or hope to measure to. The certificate that came with them (probably a photo copy of the one that comes with every set) shows a deviation for each block. What would that supposably  be? If they're accurate to 0.00005 what is the deviation unit?
[Image: g57udUQB9uqlC2y0dxXFApvbPmUBT3xULLGQu5mA...7-h1276-no]

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 07-09-2017

Greg - I believe that one DEV measures two-fifths of f**k all.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-09-2017

A good set of workshop grade slip gages is all most of us will ever need, as a temperature controlled clean room would be necessary to justify a higher or inspection grade set. I just stumbled on a set of gage blocks a couple of days ago, listed as..... "spacer block set". They are round, but for £ 20.00, or about $30.00 U.S. equivalent, I couldn't pass them by.

On ebay, I've often noticed that when I click on see other items the seller has, many times an item is listed with a title which doesn't fall under the heading that you would expect to find specific items for sale in. This is where I have found most of the bargains, as they seem to fall under the radar.

I guess that once you get a set of gage blocks, its justification to get a sine plate, height gage, and surface plate; at least that's what I'm telling my Wife. Sweat

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 05:17 AM)Mike E. Wrote: listed as..... "spacer block set".

Is it like this set? I got one years ago and it cost me $25. Shars is selling them for $55.
They're very handy.

Ed

[attachment=14607]

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-09-2017

Yes, 36 pieces with screws & wrench. The add stated that the set was new, and it looked new, but the sticker in the box appears to have a 1995 inspection date. Couldn't see a brand name marking as the top of the box appeared faded. Hopefully there won't be any rust present and the pieces will wring together; but that's the chance you take when you buy preowned items.

In answer to Greg's question, if I'm not mistaken, 0.00005 is equal to half of a ten thousandth of an inch, or fifty millionths.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 05:17 AM)Mike E. Wrote: A good set of workshop grade slip gages is all most of us will ever need, as a temperature controlled clean room would be necessary to justify a higher or inspection grade set. I just stumbled on a set of gage blocks a couple of days ago, listed as..... "spacer block set". They are round, but for £ 20.00, or about $30.00 U.S. equivalent, I couldn't pass them by.

On ebay, I've often noticed that when I click on see other items the seller has, many times an item is listed with a title which doesn't fall under the heading that you would expect to find specific items for sale in. This is where I have found most of the bargains, as they seem to fall under the radar.

I guess that once you get a set of gage blocks, its justification to get a sine plate, height gage, and surface plate; at least that's what I'm telling my Wife. Sweat

That's how I got my machinist level. It was in the plumb bob category!

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 07-10-2017

This book from Amazon came in the mail today. Its a " Dictionary of Woodworking Tools " - by R.A. Salaman
Information and drawings about woodworking tools and tools of allied trades from the circa of 1700 to 1970.

A very interesting reference, and source for identifying obscure tools you might find. For those of you into hammers, 18 of the 546 pages are just about hammers !