MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 05-16-2017

(05-16-2017, 05:22 PM)Pete O Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 10:46 AM)Vinny Wrote: So you consider a surface grinder just a bit or a bob?

Ha, just thought I'd throw it in as a teaser. My wife came home after I'd unloaded everything else, I told her I'd had that thing for ages and she'd just never noticed it before. She wasn't convinced- perhaps because it was still on the trailer.
When I get a chance to clean it up (maybe tomorrow before nightshift) and unload it, I'll put a few details in the 'surface grinders' section.
By the way, where is a safe place to sling one of these things from? It was loaded with a forklift but that's not an option at home, will have to use the floor crane.

I've been told and have followed the advise to remove the table before lifting a surface grinder.  Put a couple of yellow slings under it and it should come right off with an engine hoist, etc.  Just be careful not to drop the table especially if you're not centered well.

(05-16-2017, 05:41 PM)Vinny Wrote: On another note, mine will have an automatic table soon.  I found a pneumatic controller on ebay that works perfectly for it.  More on that project when I get further into it.

I have not gotten serious yet about adding power to the table of my surface grinder (6X12).  Right now I have way too many projects lined up, but can you give me some ideas?

Pawn shop find

[Image: 00n0n_lIoRPjNoPTU_600x450.jpg]

They look absolutely brand new with one showing just a wee bit of use.  Came with the original cardboard box.  $45.00 and the Pawn Shop absorbed the 6% sales tax.  Most prices online were $60.00 and up.  Not a great deal, but certainly not one to turn down

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 05-16-2017

I got a pneumatic cylinder from MPJA a while back with a 12" stroke. On ebay I found this 380700971386 which is a circuit board with a small pneumatic cylinder on it. I don't plan on using the cylinder, but the board has a pneumatic solenoid on it and an optical sensor. When you put power to the board and interrupt the optical sensor, the solenoid energizes and the piston goes out. After about a second, it comes back. That "second" can be changed by a resistor/capacitor pair. I plan on making the resistor variable so I can use it to control the stroke length. I'll control the speed by air pressure.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 05-17-2017

Thank you

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 05-17-2017

The only thing that arrived today was an acceptance, of an offer I made on ebay for a Starrett 6" > 12" micrometer set.  Thumbsup

Paid for it, but I forgot to ask if it was Imperial or Metric ?  Will find out soon. Sweat

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 05-18-2017

This arrived today. It pretty much covers everything and of the things I did read, it's explained quite well. This one is from 1942.

[Image: audels.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Pumpjack - 05-18-2017

I like them older books to Vinny, seems like i always find stuff thats been forgotten .

RE: Latest Delivery - wawoodman - 05-18-2017

I like them, too. Especially the drawings of the guys all wearing white shirts and ties, and smoking a pipe!

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 10:45 PM)wawoodman Wrote: I like them, too. Especially the drawings of the guys all wearing white shirts and ties, and smoking a pipe!

All the while they are running a lathe and without safety glasses.   Jawdrop