MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 05-14-2017

(05-12-2017, 08:03 PM)Dr Stan Wrote: Greg,

That is one good lookin' radial arm DP and a perfect size for a home shop.  Ya done good.   Thumbsup

Yep. I want one.

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 05-16-2017

I spent the day at a machine shop clearing sale today, I was interested in a King Rich turret mill, unfortunately it was the 5 horsepower model and I decided it would be stretching the limits of my phase converter to run it.
I put in a few successful bids on sundries including one 'everything under the bench' lot. That held a few nice surprises such as a swag of carbide inserts that will hopefully return a reasonable portion of the day's outlay
[attachment=14439]

A nice selection of reamers, I've been wanting to increase my reamer supply from the previous 'none whatsoever'. yet to sort through this lot to see what's there.
[attachment=14440]

A batch of DTIs, I plan to pick the eyes out of them and send the surplus to eBay
[attachment=14441]

I'm hoping someone will be able to fill me in on exactly what this thing is for, the wooden box says it is an adapter plate for use with a mag chuck, looks like the top section of the mag chuck itself. What does one do with it??
[attachment=14442]
[attachment=14443]

A few other bits and bobs
[attachment=14453]
[attachment=14452]
[attachment=14444]
[attachment=14445]
[attachment=14446]
[attachment=14447]
[attachment=14448]
[attachment=14449]
[attachment=14450]
[attachment=14451]
Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin

Another thing you guys might be able to advise me on, the place had a couple of EDM machines that went for a song; I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about EDM but amongst my 'under the bench' haul were a few boxes of what I believe is EDM tooling. I'm wondering if this stuff is likely to be of use to the average bloke with an EDM or is it specific to a particular task? There are all manner of strange shapes in there.
[attachment=14454]
[attachment=14455]

If this stuff is only useful for whatever the particular job these guys were doing with their EDMs, I'll just chuck it rather than waste time putting it on ebay.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 05-16-2017

Nice haul Pete.

I got all excited when I saw the magnetic parallels thinking I might make you an offer on them and then I saw the surface grinder!

I'd be interested in seeing what you are thinking of putting on eBay once yo have sorted through everything.

RE: Latest Delivery - rleete - 05-16-2017

The EDM tooling is just carbon. Pretty soft, and not too useful except for making pistons in Sterling engines. Probably not worth much to anyone, unfortunately.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 05-16-2017

" What does one do with it ?? "

Wow, that is one large magnetic transfer block. Jawdrop You could probably chop it up into smaller blocks, grind them, sell them, and retire off the proceeds. Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 05-16-2017

So you consider a surface grinder just a bit or a bob?

BTW You Suck You Suck You Suck

(05-16-2017, 10:46 AM)Vinny Wrote: So you consider a surface grinder just a bit or a bob?

Ha, just thought I'd throw it in as a teaser. My wife came home after I'd unloaded everything else, I told her I'd had that thing for ages and she'd just never noticed it before. She wasn't convinced- perhaps because it was still on the trailer.
When I get a chance to clean it up (maybe tomorrow before nightshift) and unload it, I'll put a few details in the 'surface grinders' section.
By the way, where is a safe place to sling one of these things from? It was loaded with a forklift but that's not an option at home, will have to use the floor crane.

Mine has two posts sticking out each side near the back then the balance is behind the center hand wheel. Supposedly, when lifted from the posts, there's very little weight at the hand wheel spot. I can't confirm or deny that, I used a forklift!

On another note, mine will have an automatic table soon. I found a pneumatic controller on ebay that works perfectly for it. More on that project when I get further into it.