MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 04-11-2017

banggood @ its finest..... :-)

[attachment=14345]

Greg

RE: Latest Delivery - Roadracer_Al - 04-15-2017

I keep thinking I need the full set of Silver & Demming drills. A friend has found and purchased 2 full sets at shop closings, and doesn't want to get off of one of the sets. I don't suppose I can blame him.

The spanner wrench for the collet chucks is dead easy to make.
Measure the OD of the collet locking ring.
Measure the ID of the collet lock ring pin hole.
Turn the pin out of a piece of 4140 or other hardening steel -- for the length of the pin, make it the depth of the pin hole, plus about 3/8".
Begin the layout by scribing the diameter of the OD of the lock ring on a piece of 1/4" steel. You can make the handle long or short -- mine is about 3" and I use it like a slugging wrench.
The handle can engage the OD of the locking ring between 90° and 120°, DO NOT make it 180° because you simply can't get the pin into the locking ring.
Lay out accordingly. Mark a radial line on the handle, then offset it by the radius of the pin (so the pin winds up on center)
Bore the hole in the 1/4" either with a boring bar holder in the mill, or in the lathe on a faceplate.
Cut out and finish the rest of the handle.
Braze the pin onto the handle, then quench. The pin will be full-hard, so it must be annealed - I'd pop it in the toaster oven @ 400 for 1 hour.

Enjoy!

a

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 04-15-2017

A few weeks back I posted a picture of MT3 tailstock centre and an adaptor to make it a pipe centre, that was given to me after it was spotted in a pile of junk placed outside for the trash man to collect.  It turned out that the widow of the machinist was in the process of cleaning out.  So, I made arrangements to pay her a visit yesterday.

Most of what would be considered the 'good stuff' had long gone.  There was a decent Woodhouse & Mitchell Junior 70 lathe that my mate may be interested in, a Bridgeport J series head, ram and turret, and a couple of valve grinding machines.

The first thing that I spotted was an Excel 12" rotary table and after ferreting through draws, bins and boxes, I emerged with a selection of spiral point taps (a couple of std hand taps fell in somehow), reamers, taper drills, some brazed carbide tooling that I'll modify to fit the shaper, some HSS form tools and a few other items.  I also grabbed a Moore and Wright 0-6" depth mic and a 6" 4-jaw chuck, both for my mate.  All up, I'm out of pocket to the tune of $270, which I am really happy with.

Obligatory pics:
[attachment=14351]
[attachment=14352]
[attachment=14353]
[attachment=14354]
[attachment=14355]

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 04-16-2017

Nice haul! That rotary table should clean up nicely.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 04-16-2017

Thanks Ed. I pulled it apart yesterday and I don't think it has seen much use. A pressure wash and some grease, and it will be good to go. The two MT3 tools and two of the drills have also cleaned up after a cycle in the electrolysis tub.

RE: Latest Delivery - wawoodman - 04-16-2017

How do you say You Suck  in Austrailian?

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 08:22 PM)wawoodman Wrote: How do you say You Suck  in Austrailian?

You have to say it upside down.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-16-2017

Like this:

[Image: YouSuckA.gif]

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 04-17-2017

[attachment=14356]
[attachment=14357]

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-17-2017

Looks good. How well does it work?