MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 04-02-2017

But Tom, those have been here for literally centuries, particularly in the cutlery industry.

By the way I do have a blacksmiths power hammer for sale at the moment :)

[attachment=14333]

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 04-02-2017

(04-02-2017, 11:09 AM)Vinny Wrote: I found a pneumatic on ebay for a decent price, but after doing the math on it's force capabilities, it's useless.  For the punches I have I need just under a ton, it was just over an eighth of a ton!  So I'm back to looking.  As it stands right now I may be making something to use in my shop press, my arbor press is only a half ton.

Yeap, pneumatic driven = speed.  Hydraulic = force as does mechanical.  In fluid power gasses can be compressed in contrast to liquids which are very close to being non-conpressable.  In reality the only aspect of liquid compression that "compresses" is forcing any gas out of suspension.

BTW, anyone in your neck of the woods have a wire EDM?  I suspect it would do the work for you quickly & relatively inexpensively.

You may also want to visit anvilfire.com a blacksmith's forum where you can view user built hammers and plans are available from Jerry Allen &The Appalachian Blacksmiths Association for the "Rusty" power hammer.  Planed to make one myself, but after two carpel tunnel surgeries and eight trigger finger repairs I decided to go a different way.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-02-2017

I found something this afternoon. Made an offer and he accepted it. It even comes with a removable sheer. I'll post pics when it arrives.

I will have to do some fabricating to get the punches and dies I have to work but it shouldn't be bad.

As to wire EDM, almost had one myself. An auction I went to, two never sold and the auctioneers were accepting any bids. My problems were a) how to transport it and b) where am I going to put it once I get it here. It was bigger than my shop. Outside of that, don't know anyone, but I'll have several to do with different layouts so wire edm would be more trouble than it'd be worth.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 04-03-2017

Vinny - you live in the US where the average BMI is 26.6, so you just need to tell some fat folk that every time they jump on the dies a triple quarter pounder burger with bacon, super large fries and a gallon of coke will be dispensed if they exert sufficient force Big Grin

Fortunately for you, the average BMI is much higher in Michigan at 31.1. Free easy work and you'll be doing the world a good turn by getting the tubby ones to exercise. You might want them to sign a waiver beforehand though...

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 04-06-2017

(04-03-2017, 06:19 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Vinny - you live in the US where the average BMI is 26.6, so you just need to tell some fat folk that every time they jump on the dies a triple quarter pounder burger with bacon, super large fries and a gallon of coke will be dispensed if they exert sufficient force Big Grin

Fortunately for you, the average BMI is much higher in Michigan at 31.1.  Free easy work and you'll be doing the world a good turn by getting the tubby ones to exercise.  You might want them to sign a waiver beforehand though...

Well I recall many many very attractive women down under, however as far as civilized men, not so much.   Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 04-10-2017

I can't seem to get the collets tight in my 5C collet blocks and the last three times I've used them the work moved in the block. It didn't affect the function of the finished piece but I decided it was time to either make or buy a spanner wrench. Since I already have a project list that's long enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life, I decided to buy a wrench. Pricey little bugger though.

Ed

[attachment=14343]

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 04-11-2017

Yep they are expensive here as well.  I managed to find a set of 3 combined pin/hook spanners with 3 pin adaptors and 2 spare pins in 6mm and 8mm diameters.  Hook handles: 3/4" to 2", 1 1/4" to 3", 2" to 4 3/4".

I managed to get the set for $149.00 which was well below what the web price was.

RE: Latest Delivery - rleete - 04-11-2017

It has always bugged me that collet holder sets (the ones with hex and square blocks) come with the tightening rings, but no wrench.

And yet they always include that semi-worthless cam lock thing, and usually a fitted wooden case.  Really?  Who decides these things?

Nice set, Mayhem.  Jealous!

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-11-2017

They know they can't sell you the wooden box or any of the other crap they my throw in, but they can sure get you to buy the proper wrench! I got lucky with my ER32 chucks. When I bought my mini-lathe they guy threw in a bunch of tooling and among them was two wrenches.

RE: Latest Delivery - dallen - 04-11-2017

I made my own