MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 03-30-2017

Since the Soviets were blocked from importing any US digital electronics they kept developing tube technology.  Visited Peavey Electronics in MS and learned all the tubes they used came from the then USSR.  Many musicians insisted on tubes for the sound quality as has already been mentioned.

I'm fairly certain the tube factory was in or near St Petersburg.

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 03-31-2017

Also they realised that valve electronics were less suceptible to Electro Magnetic Pulse effects from a nuclear blast.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 03-31-2017

(03-30-2017, 07:18 PM)arvidj Wrote: How much was the meter and from whom? 

I should probably step up from the ones I have.

Arvid,

Here's a link to the Brymen line of DMMs at TME Electronic Components. I got the BM869S for $218+$9.90 shipping. Not cheap but it's the last DMM I'll ever need to buy.

TME Electronic Components

Ed

(03-30-2017, 07:17 PM)f350ca Wrote: I mustn't have got a rebranded Brymen, my Greenlee wasn't expensive.

Yea, not all Greenlee DMMs are rebranded Brymens. I think just the higher end ones are. I don't think Greenlee actually makes any of their DMMs.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 03-31-2017

Ed - I have had a Breyman BM202 DMM for a couple of decades now and it has never missed a beat.

Greg - I use to run valve power amps and you just cannot beat the sound. Especially when the valves age and become microphonic.

RE: Latest Delivery - n2xd - 03-31-2017

I believe that the name of the company was Svetlana.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 03-31-2017

(03-30-2017, 12:10 PM)EdK Wrote: I read a lot of reviews of DMMs before I ended up choosing this one. It's one of their top of the line meters. It's not sold in the USA so I had to order it from Poland. Shipping was only $9.90 and it took three days to get here.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet listing the features of a lot of DMMs: DMM Spreadsheet

Ed

I didn't realize there were so many DMM's out there. My trusty Fluke is starting to show its age, so maybe it's time to trade up. Did you compile the list Ed? Very useful.

One of the things on my to do list (now that I have the time), is to expand my knowledge of electronics. Any suggestions on what kind of scope to get for audio work?

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 03-31-2017

Something analog. I like the analog Tektronix 2200 series (some of the 2200s are digital), but unfotunately they're beginning to get old and need to be serviced. If you can find one that's already been "re-capped" you'd be good to go.

(03-31-2017, 08:20 AM)TomG Wrote: Any suggestions on what kind of scope to get for audio work?

I have a Tektronix 2467B that you're welcome to but I need to re-cap it first. I got it for free so it won't cost you anything but the shipping cost.

Oh, and I did not create that DMM spreadsheet. I got it from this forum.

EEVBlog

Ed

EDIT: The 2467B scopes cost $12000 new. Yikes

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 04-01-2017

Back to metalworking for a bit... sort of. I'm building some electronic plug-ins (not for the scope) and needed a way to punch squarish holes. Rather than get a bunch of punches and dies of various sizes, I got one rectangular one that I can make larger holes with by nibbling. The oval one was to make one particular hole for a pull-tab.

[Image: punches.JPG]

I'll have to make something to hold and punch with, that should be fun.