MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 03-17-2017

A colleague of mine brought this in for me.  Her husband noticed on the verge rubbish collection pile of their neighbour's.  It is a MT3 centre with a home made adaptor for use as a pipe centre.  

[attachment=14320]

I then found out that the neighbour is a widow, who now and then throws out "junk" from her lathe husband's workshop.  It turns out that he was an engineer of some description and had worked for Roles Royce and Boeing.  I've asked if I can drop by one day and take a look at what "junk" remains...

Next is a cold cut saw that I picked up today for $400.  It needs some TLC, as well as a new pivot bush/pin and a cover making where someone had not noticed that the stop had worked loose and cut into the vise screw Slaphead.  Interestingly, this started its life with a manual fuel pump to run the coolant.  At some stage, someone has added a suds pump.  The blade is dull but I can replace that easily enough.

[attachment=14321][attachment=14322]
[attachment=14323][attachment=14324]
[attachment=14325]

I also picked up some forklift tines from a local service centre for $50.  The uprights are 5" wide and 2" thick and contain several of the QCTP holders that I need to make.  I'm guessing that I will need a fairly coarse pitch blade to cut through these.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 03-17-2017

Looks like it was made for your shaper, Pete.

All it needs now is a nice coat of green paint. Big Grin

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 03-17-2017

Nice find on the cold saw. Darren. Never used one, but I'll bet they do a nice job.

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 03-17-2017

Heavy duty, how long was the hunt for the vise?

Greg

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 03-17-2017

The Pedrazzoli cold saws use vehicle fuel lift pumps for coolant, with the lever that normally rests on the cam resting on an eccentric on the back end of the motor shaft. I know because mine failed, and a shelf spare that I held for my JCB3CX digger fitted exactly, right down to the same spacing on the multiple holes on the die castings that sandwich the diaphragm.

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 03-17-2017

Nice score Pete, any idea on its weight?

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 03-17-2017

Nice score with the cold saw Darren. Seen them go for much more money needing much more TLC. Nice score with the widow too, might be a treasure trove there. I cut through the forklift tine upright (about the same size as yours) on my bandsaw with a 10-14tpi blade, took a while but did the job. It's proving to be nice material to work with.

Pepi, I've been searching for a shaper vice since the day I bought the shaper- looking at my thread on it it was only last August, seems longer. I had started to toy with the idea of making one myself.

Greg, I meant to weigh the vice before mounting it but forgot to do so- the eBay listing stated it was 40kg. I suspect it is a little more than that but probably not too much more. Seems I need to take it off again to give it a coat of paint, if that ever happens I'll weigh it. Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 03-17-2017

Two nice scores.  That shaper/planner vice will prove very useful. Thumbsup

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 03-30-2017

I read a lot of reviews of DMMs before I ended up choosing this one. It's one of their top of the line meters. It's not sold in the USA so I had to order it from Poland. Shipping was only $9.90 and it took three days to get here.

Here's a link to a spreadsheet listing the features of a lot of DMMs: DMM Spreadsheet

Ed

[attachment=14330]

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 03-30-2017

To go along with Ed's electronics.

[Image: lc7xMKZoVVsu1kDhNl0z6mD-g9znTbllIY1L3Lmu...7-h1276-no]

The pots for the volume control on my old solid state pre-amp were shot. On a whim I ordered this off Amazon, always wanted to try a tube amp. WOW !!! this thing is unbelievably clean and so smooth.