MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - tackit - 07-25-2014

I like the way the look too Ed. If I had to throwaway all my Chinese made tools I wouldn't have much.

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 07-26-2014

I examined the dies closer and they seem to be fairly well made, at least compared to my carbon steel ones.

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 07-26-2014

Today's USPS (US Postal Service) delivery, two Titex A1115S-1/4IN 90ยบ HSS-E (that's 5% cobalt) spotting drills.

[Image: IMG_2385-r_zpsefe03e47.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2387-r_zpscb02cb81.jpg]

I like the Titex better than the Kennametal and Guhring that I had gotten for free a long time ago because they have a web-thinning gash at the tip and the HSS-E seems to last longer than regular HSS. Partly due to the gash but also the flute grind, the web thickness at the tip of Titex spotting drills is smaller than their competitors so they can be used for smaller drills. These aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. List is $16.70 each, these were $20 for two of them at my door. It was a "make an offer" thing on eBay, listing wanted $9.95 each and $3.25 for shipping two.

EDIT:

For comparison, here's the two Kennametal and one Guhring I have. The Guhring is trashed at the tip, too brittle. The close-up of the tips on the Kennametal shows how much thicker the web is. Also note how the Kennametal has far more flute length than needed for a spot/chamfering tool. And with it's high helix it's just not as strong at the cutting edge. Both are worn from frequent but careful use. I'm going to like the Titex much better!

[Image: IMG_2388-r_zps586fd21e.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2390-r_zps6799b088.jpg]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - stevec - 07-26-2014

Darren, nice stuff. Thumbsup.
I noticed you mentioned your shipper was USPS not UPS.
Is it for the same reason I won't have stuff shipped to me by UPS?
I find that if there is a border involved the brokerage fee is exorbitant and more times than not import duties are tacked on by our Canadian import clowns who seem to have a green light turned on by the UPS grab.
My son told me that UPS means "Use Purolator Stupid" (Purolator is a Canadian carrier like, or unlike, UPS).

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 07-26-2014

(07-26-2014, 05:56 PM)stevec Wrote: Darren, nice stuff. Thumbsup.
I noticed you mentioned your shipper was USPS not UPS.
Is it for the same reason I won't have stuff shipped to me by UPS?
I find that if there is a border involved the brokerage fee is exorbitant and more times than not import duties are tacked on by our Canadian import clowns who seem to have a green light turned on by the UPS grab.
My son told me that UPS means "Use Purolator Stupid" (Purolator is a Canadian carrier like, or unlike, UPS).

Huh! 17428

Are you referring to Ken's post? Ken and Darren are not the same person but Ken and PixMan are. Too much home-brew tonight Steve? Big Grin

Ed

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - Mayhem - 07-26-2014

Darren wishes he had Ken's skill but Ed is correct in saying we are two different people Steve!

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - stevec - 07-27-2014

Ooops! Blush

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - PixMan - 07-27-2014

And to answer your question Steve, using Useless Parcel Service wasn't an option for this purchase. Being an eBay sale, the seller dictates which service they will use. Here, UPS recently changed their pricing and is now more affected by package size, not weight as it once was.

Here, the US Postal Service is cheaper and nearly as fast as UPS. They should be cheaper given the rate at which they are losing money.

Ken (PixMan)

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 08-14-2014

A few more goodies arrived today.

Ed

[attachment=9081]

RE: Latest UPS Delivery - EdK - 09-08-2014

Hmmm, I wonder what's in the box. Oh yeah, it's a matched set of v-blocks. I could have used these numerous times so I decided to get a pair. I have smaller capacity, individual blocks but no matched sets. These are huge. About 4 1/8" x 4 1/8" x 3 1/16" with a 2 9/16" capacity.

Ed

[attachment=9253] [attachment=9254]