MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - oldskoolron - 12-05-2016

few weeks ago i sold some harley parts to a fella in victoria few thousand klm away .he has been calling every few days an i found out he has brain cancer so sent a few bits to help him build his bike b4 its to late to ride with his son .today this box rocked up from him .its got stepper motors controls ect ect to make my mini mill cnc an he said the ball screws are on there way too .but after a quik call to him b4 im bit shocked he said he has a herless milling machine he will get sent to me he said its way better than the mini mill an with a meter long bed i can do more larger jobs .how do ya pay back an offer like that if i had a bike id send it but mmmmm thinking
anyhows now i got to learn mach 3 which he also sent with the cnc bits
[Image: WP_001961_zps2jjuavnu.jpg]

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 12-05-2016

I guess you do what you can to help him out, even if you think it is nowhere near enough. If you can afford to send him parts that he needs or even plan a road trip to help him out for a weekend, I'm sure he would appreciate it but I am sure he isn't doing this to get stuff in return. For some, being able to help someone else out is all they want in return.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 08:11 AM)Mayhem Wrote: For some, being able to help someone else out is all they want in return.

Nicely said Darren.

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Old Minger - 12-10-2016

Christmas came early this year. I just picked up from the post box 2 sets of soft jaws for the small vice I recently restored. Beautifully machine and finished, one set in Copper and a matching set in Aluminum. Nothing special I hear you all say, well what you need to know is that these were made by someone on the forum here and sent to me free of any charges along with Christmas well wishes. 

I'm speechless! It's generous acts like these that restores ones faith in humanity, thank you!

Now I'm off to put them to use.

Cheers
John
[attachment=13970]

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 12-20-2016

Won a bid on Crown Assets Disposal. A 17 foot Grumman freighter canoe, then had to drive 730 kms yesterday to go get it. Pretty Canadian though EH hauling a canoe in a snow storm. Nice shape but some moron used a sander to remove the Oceans and Fisheries stickers off it. Now I have to buff the whole thing to get rid of the scratches.

[Image: oY6gRDRxjqD_Lan2F8Q0fm34PBrTJ-Rx6eB0h-XX...2-h1224-no]

[Image: aSxDL6E8Y2mjc6ZywF4ds2-d4lmPzfZDbuLNorEw...2-h1224-no]

Bring on spring.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 12-20-2016

"Bring on spring."

How 'bout snow canoeing?  Betya Red Green could give you some tips.   Smiley-dancenana

RE: Latest Delivery - Pete O - 12-21-2016

A classic. Don't see many proper canoes here, more's the pity. Are the yoke and seats in the Grumman metal?

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 12-21-2016

Maybe a few runs down the ski hill would buff the scratches out Stan. Metal seats Pete, no yoke, its not light, 85 pounds not sure my back would handle this one.

RE: Latest Delivery - Mike E. - 12-21-2016

(12-20-2016, 10:46 PM)f350ca Wrote: Won a bid on Crown Assets Disposal. A 17 foot Grumman freighter canoe, then had to drive 730 kms yesterday to go get it. Pretty Canadian though EH hauling a canoe in a snow storm. Nice shape but some moron used a sander to remove the Oceans and Fisheries stickers off it. Now I have to buff the whole thing to get rid of the scratches.

[Image: oY6gRDRxjqD_Lan2F8Q0fm34PBrTJ-Rx6eB0h-XX...2-h1224-no]

[Image: aSxDL6E8Y2mjc6ZywF4ds2-d4lmPzfZDbuLNorEw...2-h1224-no]

Bring on spring.

The Grumman's are a great canoe and very stable. I've had a 47 pound 13 footer for over three decades which has given me great pleasure. Besides washing out, the only maintenance I've done has been to lightly buff the exterior, rub it down with parafin wax, and buff again; the service schedule for this is about once every five years, lol.

Our Grumman canoe is one of the few things in life I wouldn't want to part with. As there was still room in the sea train container, last year I decided to ship it overseas along with a few other items to the cottage we are restoring in Wales. There are a lot of great rivers, canals, and waterways nearby here to explore. My storage unit is kind of small, so I suspended the canoe from the steel beam holding up my roof; I just got to remember to take it down before I frame in the ceiling, lol.

I'm confident you are going to enjoy your canoe Greg, and the more you use it, the better you will like it. Here are a couple of photos ours.

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 12-21-2016

Good to hear a vote of confidence Mike. I read they were pretty stable, love the shape of the sides, where it curves back in at the top like the old cedar strip ones did. Not something you can easily do on a mold.
Remember too well packing containers like that when I made my last move.