MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-16-2016

That's a thought.  No fogging the shop and your lungs with coolant (that's why I do not like mist units).  No splashing of coolant all over the machine, floor, walls, etc.

I could see one using both on a mill, but not at the same time.  The air unit would be especially effective when using a carbide face mill.

Turning on the lathe is another potential use of the air unit.

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 12:00 PM)the penguin Wrote: Vinny,

Do you have any idea about the fluid flow rate?

I've never used any kind of fluid, I just use compressed air. I have a couple of the Cedarberg magnetic bases and flex-hose and a small air regulator, just enough flow to move the chips out of the way. I set up a couple of small cardboard screens to deflect the chips to one area for easy clean up.

here is a picture of my set up

At 100 PSI with the spray as hard as I can get it (read: fog), it's about 180-200 cc / min. +\- 10cc. My method wasn't' very scientific. It took 33 secs to get to a certain mark on the bottle of water I was using and it took ~100cc to fill it back to the starting mark.

I wanted to get more accuracy but the filter on the end of the feed tube is the same size as my 10cc graduated cylinder (knew I shoulda bought a bigger one).

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 09-16-2016

There use to be a device offered for milling machines that made very cold air using the expansion of the compressed air to chill the blast - not seen them offered recently - anyone know what I'm on about?

(back in the late 60's I used 'mini-coolers' that produced liquid air to cool infra-red detectors in satellites - source was 4000 psi air - so it's an oldish established technology)

A vortex tube. I've seen them used at work in the testing lab.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 04:52 PM)awemawson Wrote: There use to be a device offered for milling machines that made very cold air using the expansion of the compressed air  to chill the blast - not seen them offered recently - anyone know what I'm on about?

(back in the late 60's  I used 'mini-coolers' that produced liquid air to cool infra-red detectors in satellites - source was 4000 psi air - so it's an oldish established technology)

Here's one:  http://www.travers.com/cold-air-guns/p/65085/ Just make sure you're sitting down when you look at the price.

Yeah, it's a little expensive, but it comes with the flex line!

RE: Latest Delivery - the penguin - 09-16-2016

Damn!! I have one of them cold air thingamabobs in a drawer, never used it.

RE: Latest Delivery - awemawson - 09-17-2016

Dig it out of the drawer and put some pictures up - it must be copiable !

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 09-17-2016

All the tool truck dealers used to sell them as "choke testers". Pretty handy really for adjusting the bi-metal choke coils on carburetors. One end blew ice cold air and the other end blew hot air so you could get the choke butterfly to move which ever way you needed it to go to test the tension setting of the coil.

[attachment=13660]

[attachment=13661]

The newer models of misting units are individually adjustable for both air flow and coolant low. If you only want to blast air you simply turn off the fluid control. You don't have to use both air and coolant at the same time, but it does give you the option. Another difference is my old Kool-Mist was mixed at the tank and the coolant would condense before it got to the nozzle and was harder to control. Newer models pipe the coolant all the way to the end of the loc-line and it is mixed as it EXITS the nozzle. More control, less fog.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 09-17-2016

The lathe tool arrived from LittleMachinShop.com yesterday. Nicely made tool.

Ed

[attachment=13663]