MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Roadracer_Al - 08-27-2016

Not precisely a delivery, but a garage sale at a local machine shop.  The owner had taken it over from his brother, who was a bit of a hoarder.  The owner is trying to clear out some stuff (last week, he sold a surface grinder for $300!!  Which I missed...) in preparation for moving north of the city to a cheaper and more agreeable town not far from the coast.

Anyway, I scored some big burly C-clamps.  The largest has a 3.25" opening.

[Image: p69550554-4.jpg]

A bunch of 5/8" shank import brazed carbide boring bars, about half of which need sharpening, the other half seem unused.  These are the right size for my 16x40 lathe.

[Image: p340147606-4.jpg]

And, the real score, a Chandler-Duplex # 2 1/2 boring and facing head with an R-8 shank.  It's missing the tool holders and it's stuck, but is soaking in a bucket of paint thinner at the moment.

[Image: p241936743-4.jpg]

[Image: p225188030-4.jpg]

The best part... the whole lot was $50.

I passed up an abused-looking large geometric die head with no dies, although I am feeling a little regret about that.

RE: Latest Delivery - f350ca - 08-27-2016

Let me be the first to say, YOU SUCK
Nice looking boring head, been many occasions I could have used the facing feature.
Those clamps look like they could bring continental shelves together.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 08-27-2016

Let me be the second to say You Suck

I like those clamps. They look real beefy. Thumbsup

Ed

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-27-2016

Guess I'm third, but then 3 times is a charm.   You Suck 

Nice C clamps and that boring head is going to clean-up nicely.

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 08-27-2016

You found a garage sale at a machine shop? That alone buys you a You Suck, even if you didn't buy anything.  Big Grin

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 08-27-2016

You Suck You Suck You Suck ... You get the idea!

RE: Latest Delivery - Roadracer_Al - 08-28-2016

Sweet! A chorus of the coveted You Suck!

I got the clamps because I want to build a 12" angle plate from steel. Someday.

The boring/facing head did free up in the mineral spirit bath! Very happy about that. Saved a lot of disassembly.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 09-02-2016

[attachment=13610]

RE: Latest Delivery - oldskoolron - 09-02-2016

you fellas get all the fun in usa we don't have anywhere the amount of sales [garage]places like harbor freight ect most times we have to pay top dollar for rubbish or tools that need reworking .

I bought an old head stock weeks ago which was stuck with rust in hard to get places so doing what my dad taught me [rip dad] I soaking it in 6 to 1 of molasis and water .will take a few weeks but the rust old paint an gunk will be gone so it should be ablr to be movable enough to dismantle.ive used thid method on old rusty bike parts with great success

RE: Latest Delivery - Roadracer_Al - 09-03-2016

You planning on fixing up some Carolina BBQ, Ed?