MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - arvidj - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 10:56 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: 10' X 10' slightly used in excellent condition overhead door. 

I have to ask ... does the seller now have an uncovered 10' x 10' opening in their building? Maybe they decide they needed a bigger door? Just wondering.

No mater their motivation for selling, NICE FIND.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-12-2016

(08-12-2016, 12:44 PM)arvidj Wrote:
(08-12-2016, 10:56 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: 10' X 10' slightly used in excellent condition overhead door. 

I have to ask ... does the seller now have an uncovered 10' x 10' opening in their building? Maybe they decide they needed a bigger door? Just wondering.

No mater their motivation for selling, NICE FIND.

They had modified the building and said they needed a different door.  I saw the new one and am not so sure.  Anyways worked out for me.   Big Grin

Tom,

The torsion spring versions are not my favorite, but with appropriate care I've installed them in the past.  In fact the existing door on my shop is a torsion spring version.  In some ways they are easier to adjust instead of going side to side making adjustments on the coil spring versions.  I have a couple pieces of W-1 drill rod I use for this task & stay the h#ll out of the way!

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 08-13-2016

(08-12-2016, 07:28 AM)arvidj Wrote:  I have both ... a winch on the tractor and a hoist in the basement.

I have one of the 115V 1300 lb hoists in my basement, and just wish there was an easy way to slow to dog gone thing WAY down. I've already added a double pulley block to the cable which helped, but it's still to fast for me. Too short a lift to add any more pulleys (low ceiling) and it's already a pain to try and keep them straight as it is.

Instead of a steady controlled "lift" I get more of a "clean and jerk" when trying to pick up my mill vice, rotary table, etc. Sad

RE: Latest Delivery - pepi - 08-15-2016

(08-11-2016, 11:21 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: With every overhead hoist I've ever used I was never under the load.

BTW, the warnings are there due to the insistence of the lawyers & bean counters.

Just to add some information to the conversation,
A hoist, includes a mechanical braking system, which is a physical brake that locks the spool in place so that there is no line bleed. In addition, there is no freespool mechanism available on a hoist.

Some specially-manufactured winches are designed to double as a hoist. (HF?) In order for these devices to act as a hoist, the device must include a locking brake and no freespool mechanism (or the freespool must be completely removed or disabled). Never use a winch as a hoist unless the manufacturer specifically states that the winch is approved for use as a hoist.

Cheers,
Greg

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 08-15-2016

Pepi, this winch has a braking system. Even tho it says no vertical lifting, the manual says to test the brake by putting a load on it and let it hang. The brake is electro mechanical, in the event of a power failure or you're not moving the load, the brake is fully engaged.

It has a freewheeling system on it at the winch itself. There's a knob on the end that you have to pull and turn to freewheel. The way it's described, if there's a load on it, you ain't pullin that knob out. If the knob's out, it's not lifting or pulling anything.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-17-2016

Wonder if a speed control device would work on regulating the winch?  Think I'll look into that as I have one not being used.

RE: Latest Delivery - EdK - 08-24-2016

My patience paid off. Got this new 30A safety switch off of ebay for $28.99 shipped.

Ed

[attachment=13578]

RE: Latest Delivery - Vinny - 08-24-2016

You Suck

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 08-24-2016

Yeah, that's a deal. They normally go for around $125.

You Suck

Tom

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 08-24-2016

(08-24-2016, 05:03 PM)Vinny Wrote: You Suck

You Suck +1

I know I paid at least 3 times that for mine. Smiley-signs131