MetalworkingFun Forum
Latest Delivery - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Metalworking Discussion (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Latest Delivery (/thread-873.html)

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-09-2016

[Image: FSCN1625_zpsr0yjhsmd.jpg]

Getting ready to raise the roof 4ft (at least as soon as this damn foot will allow).  I'll build a fixed crane for lifting the stem walls in place using this winch then re-utilize the winch & some of the materials to build a shingle & sheeting lift.  Ultimately I plan to install a traverse crane on which I'll install the winch.

BTW, on sale at Horror Freight for $150 plus I had a $30 coupon.   Smiley-dancenana

RE: Latest Delivery - arvidj - 08-09-2016

I thought a winch would freewheel while a hoist will hold a position when the control is released. But maybe I'm wrong. I know my HF hoist will hold a position but the winch on the tractor will unwind if I put enough force on it. Yes, it takes a lot of force but it is certainly not as solid as what appears to be a positive ratchet feel on the hoist.

Just a thought ...

Arvid

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-10-2016

(08-09-2016, 07:09 PM)arvidj Wrote: I thought a winch would freewheel while a hoist will hold a position when the control is released. But maybe I'm wrong. I know my HF hoist will hold a position but the winch on the tractor will unwind if I put enough force on it. Yes, it takes a lot of force but it is certainly not as solid as what appears to be a positive ratchet feel on the hoist.

Just a thought ...

Arvid

It is designed for overhead lifting, so freewheeling is not one of its features.

RE: Latest Delivery - arvidj - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 11:27 AM)Dr Stan Wrote:
(08-09-2016, 07:09 PM)arvidj Wrote: I thought a winch would freewheel while a hoist will hold a position when the control is released. But maybe I'm wrong. I know my HF hoist will hold a position but the winch on the tractor will unwind if I put enough force on it. Yes, it takes a lot of force but it is certainly not as solid as what appears to be a positive ratchet feel on the hoist.

Just a thought ...

Arvid

It is designed for overhead lifting, so freewheeling is not one of its features.

The manual for the winch suggests:

Do not use for vertical lifting. Do not lift people or lift loads over people. Falling loads can injure or kill people
and in another spot ...
Do not use this tool for vertical lifting.

while the manual for the hoist suggests only:

Do not lift people or lift loads over people. Falling loads can injure or kill people.
and
The usual "do not do stupid things with this vertical hoist while doing vertical lifts" but at least it allows vertical lifts.

Just don't want to see you get hurt.

RE: Latest Delivery - Highpower - 08-10-2016

(08-10-2016, 11:27 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: It is designed for overhead lifting,

Not according to HF's own description. Smiley-think005

Quote:Description
Perfect for shop or garage use, this 120 volt winch pulls loads up to 1500 lb. Ideal for pulling disabled vehicles onto a lift or frame straightener. The tethered remote control gives you better freedom of movement and lets you view the load from different angles as you work. Comes with a 35 ft. long heavy duty aircraft steel cable assembly with drop-forged sling hook.

Tethered remote control
Thermal overload protection
Two stage planetary gearing
Pull up to 1500 lb. horizontally

Not for vertical lifting.

Like Arvid, I don't believe I've ever seen a winch that was rated for vertical use. Blink

RE: Latest Delivery - Mayhem - 08-11-2016

If he lays on his side whilst using it, it would appear to be pulling horizontally Big Grin

I know - not safe to make such a suggestion but I couldn't help myself...

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-11-2016

With every overhead hoist I've ever used I was never under the load.

BTW, the warnings are there due to the insistence of the lawyers & bean counters.

RE: Latest Delivery - arvidj - 08-12-2016

(08-11-2016, 11:21 AM)Dr Stan Wrote: BTW, the warnings are there due to the insistence of the lawyers & bean counters.

Agreed.

But it is more than just words in the manual. I have both ... a winch on the tractor and a hoist in the basement. The method each uses to lock the drum when no power is being applied is significantly different.

I'll say no more. Just be careful.

RE: Latest Delivery - Dr Stan - 08-12-2016

Another "delivery"

[Image: 82c8d9ad-13f5-455b-8cc1-05fd9c1a7d89_zpsdo8vfohh.jpg]

10' X 10' slightly used in excellent condition overhead door.  Craig's List find for $150.00.  Brand new they are just under $600 at the local big box stores.  I should be able to sell the existing 10" X 7' for close to the same amount.   Big Grin

RE: Latest Delivery - TomG - 08-12-2016

Nice find, but that definitely looks like work.

Remember, that springs sole purpose in life (besides raising the door) is to kill unsuspecting installers, so please be careful when winding and unwinding it.

Tom