MetalworkingFun Forum
Home Anodizing Set-up - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Home Anodizing Set-up (/thread-1189.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - Bill Gruby - 04-25-2013

Well done Tom, well done.

"Billy G"

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - TomG - 04-25-2013

Thanks Ed, I was pleased with the results. Only problem is now they'll probably want everything anodized. Slaphead

Tom

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - EdK - 04-25-2013

(04-25-2013, 04:15 PM)TomG Wrote: Thanks Ed, I was pleased with the results. Only problem is now they'll probably want everything anodized. Slaphead

Tom

Yup, and we will be wondering if you give members of this forum a discount. Smile

Ed

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - DaveH - 04-25-2013

What a great result Tom Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup
Really do look nice Worthy
From start to finish how long does the anodizing process take ?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - Mayhem - 04-25-2013

Excellent work Tom. Now you get to bill your company for the whole anodizing setup!

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - TomG - 04-25-2013

Thanks Bill.

Darren: I don't think I could pull off a "bill for the whole set-up" thing, but I'm sure I could justify increasing my shop rate. Chin

Dave: The whole process takes an hour and forty five minutes by the clock, but it's all process time so I can do other things while the magic is happening.

Tom

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - TomG - 05-02-2013

I've been finishing up some details on the anodizing bench. It now has a couple coats of bright blue glossy paint, a complete bubbling system and a good start on the hinged top/work surface. I still need to stuff some foam board between the tanks and outer wall, make a trim panel out of the white Melamine board with cutouts for the tank tops and finish trimming out top and installing the gas springs to hold it up. I also ordered another temperature controller to cool the anodizing tank, so that and another relay will be added to the controller. The end is near.

Tom

[Image: 028.JPG]

[Image: 031.JPG]

[Image: 030.JPG]

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - Highpower - 05-02-2013

Awesome job Tom. It looks like you've created another career for yourself. Big Grin

Just let me know when you get the hard coat system worked out. Rotfl

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - TomG - 05-02-2013

Thanks Willie, but I have enough "careers" already.

I don't there is anything magical about hardcoat. It's just regular anodizing done at a cooler temperature to allow a thicker (.002") deposit. Unfortunately due to the smaller pore size, it can only be dyed black or dark green. The application that I built this set-up for only requires type II anodizing, but I do have other hobbies that use type III (as do you Thumbsup).

Tom

RE: Home Anodizing Set-up - Mayhem - 05-03-2013

Looking good Tom. Just for a perspective, which Lab is in the photo - the normal size one or the giant?