MetalworkingFun Forum
My week this week! My workshop videos! - Printable Version

+- MetalworkingFun Forum (http://www.metalworkingfun.com)
+-- Forum: Machining (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Shop Stuff (http://www.metalworkingfun.com/forum-44.html)
+--- Thread: My week this week! My workshop videos! (/thread-4104.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 07-13-2024

Hi folks, A mixed bag this week! I fix the garden tractor after it takes on a tree stump and loses, get started on realigning the colchester lathe (more next week) Do the inevitable tidying up, and have two very productive days of antique repairs ! Enjoy! 
Phil, the central heating is on in East Yorkshire!

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 07-20-2024

Hi folks, Part two of aligning the Colchester headstock, plus stripping and rebuilding a three jaw chuck, in order to clean and oil it, and get it working to its full potential accuracy and smoothnes! Three jaw chucks all have runout, even when brand new and good quality, expect 3 to 4 thou runout, and more on an import! They are convenient and quick, and as long as you are turning all the diameters of your component, any runout is ireelevant, but if you need to use the outside diameter of the bar as well, it will not be concentric with the diameters you have turned! If you need to do this, use a 4 jaw! A 4 jaw is the most accurate chuck you have!
Phil, in sunny hot and summery East Yorkshire! It won't last!!

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - Vinny - 07-22-2024

Happy Birthday!!

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 07-27-2024

Hi folks, This week I strip the Holbrook countershaft and work out the sliding positions for the upper pulley to obtain the 12 speeds on the Holbrook, six selected by belt changing, and the back gear giving another six. I pop over to my mate Richards in the derwent valley and we troubleshoot his Ingersol rand "$" compressor We get it running in short order but there is a fault on the unloader system which turns out to be the non return valve has failed. And then the what is it! Something interesting from a York car boot, prably with a military history, have a look and let me know in the comments, and dont forget to subscribe!! 
Phil, in pleasantly warm and sunny East Yorkshire!

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 08-03-2024

Hi folks, A mixed week in which I get some more work on the Holbrook in, and realise that my envisioned solution for the countershaft arrangment is fatally flawed, and with thanks to the Guru of all things Holbrook, Mr John Bourke, I rethink it all and take his sage advice to heart! After an early morning at York Uiversity on Tuesday for My eldest to get her Masters in Biology Graduation, we go on to Wednesday grass cutting in the field, back on the Holbrook Thursday, and Friday, in sweltering heat we start the fence that we started on the day lockdown was imposed at the start of Covid! 
Phil, summer has arrived in East Yorkshire

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 08-10-2024

Hi folks, This week we complete the final preparations for the annual Wicani Jamboree, which is a get together of dog breeders and owners held annually on the field owned by my cousin Keith and I. This involves doing all the maintenance, repairs and tidying up we should have done at regular intervals during the year, and doing it all in about two weeks to make the place look great and to try (and usually fail) to impose some order on the chaos of nature! There is no such thing as natural beauty in nature! Eventually the strongest weeds take over and you are left with a monoculture of nettles, blind brambles and thistles. Sometimes we win, but mostly it just a wilderness! We love it, but really could live without the work it takes! Hope you enjoy it, Back on the Holbrook next week! 
Phil, in pleasantly warm East Yorkshire. 

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 08-17-2024

Hi folks, A whole uninterrupted week in the workshop! I get the majority of the build done, designing it in my head as I progress! The worst part was derusting the steel, the best was the welding AFTER I fitted a new contact tip! Also advanced two tech levels with the Rapidor, got the damper working correctly to lift the saw on the backstroke, and got the vice to cut at 45 degrees! Did an unscheduled angle grinder fix, but after all it did come out of a skip several years ago! Good progress! 
Phil warm and dry in East Yorkshire

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 08-24-2024

Hi folks, Another week in the workshop, not quite uninteruppted, but I virtually finished the belt tensioning mechanism, and fit in a couple of side jobs as well, a quick repair on a part for an astronomical telescope, and watch to the end to see a quick tidy up of the workshop! 
Phil, in Wild and Windy East Yorkshire 

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 08-31-2024

Hi folks, Another short week due to hospital appointments and daughters returning to university with a pantechnicon load of stuff! We did it! Phase two, the motor mounting, clutch and brake assembly is begining to take shape in the noggin, and I am ready to mount the motor, I finally after much procrastination, fit the starter to the Rapidor, which is now fully automated and I can walk away from it and let it cut and autostop! How 20th century is that!! 
Phil in Scorchio East Yorkshire! 

RE: My week this week! My workshop videos! - hermetic - 09-07-2024

Hi folks, 
On the Holbrook, I set up a double pulley on the motor to give two speeds from the motor, which restores all of the Holbrooks 12 speeds, I get the motor mounting plate sorted, and set up a sliding system in order to select the two pulley positions, and basically, it is all falling into place. A visit to Haxby shed to meet Paul on his home ground, some biographical notes, and a look round his very clean and tidy workshop, which is filled with some classic machine tools! Phil, in Autumnal East Yorkshire